[Libtorrent-devel] chokepoint management

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon Sep 24 15:41:44 UTC 2007

I've got several users on my LAN that use azureus.  Now this seems
inelegant for several reasons (other the the choce of azureus).
  (1) They end up sharing the 1 megabit per second line to the rest
of the world (that's its official speed, though sometimes it seems to
be faster).  Each has his own port on the network front end that's
port-forwarded his own machine   It seems that having just one
instance of bittorrent managing bandwidth on this pipe could make
better use of the line.
  (2) they run bittorrent clients on their personal machines, but
store files on a central NFS file server.  Doesn't this mean that all
the data go through the LAN at least twice?  Mind you, we have the
capacity, but again, it seems inelegant.

Now I've read the inspiring
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05/02/howto-use-rtorrent-like-a-pro/
website, and it suggests a way that rtorrent could be used on a
network gateway machine to create files elsewhere on the LAN,
graciously accepting requests from that elsewhere and initiating
downloads in a bandwidth-responsible manner.

Is there is any way that that can be done with multiple users, each,
of course, with their own download directories, and with own user ID
and permissions.  Not all those user IDs can be the one rtorrent runs
under.

Do you know of other tools I should be considering instead?
Maybe a kind of bittorrent bandwidth-aggregating proxy?

Should I be asking this question on a different forum?

-- hendrik